Sunday 22 April 2012

Motivating Me



I neeeeed some motivating words to get me out of the door to train, because the training part of things isn’t going so great at the moment. It’s me really. I just need to get off my bum. 


I still keep getting that weird feeling like this is all an exam I’m preparing for and every kid in my class is revising more than me and I’m stuck in some sort of mind-slump, unable to concentrate and get past the first chapter so I keep re-reading the same line again over and over but not really taking much in. I guess preparing for a big run is kind of like revision in a sense. You have to plan your strategy and remember all the key points, but you don’t want to worry too much and cram too much in so as not to cause greater anxiety and in this case, physical injury.




So, I’m sitting here at the computer again and contemplating going out for a run which I have done all weekend pretty much: contemplate. But there has been no action. And I keep finding silly excuses like people will look at me and think I’m some London marathon wannabe inspired to get off the couch by watching the race on television…ok, I don’t look that unfit, I just get paranoid I guess. Or how about the excuse that there will be loads of footie-mad lunatics roaming the streets from the pubs, having just watched Man U vs. Everton (at least, that’s who I think has been playing today?). 


Well, I guess I don’t live in a majorly rough area and even though there are some local pubs I doubt I’m about to get accosted by a bunch of random weirdoes and even if I got heckled I have my iPod earphones in anyway and I really shouldn’t/couldn’t care less because words that I can’t even hear from a stranger really won’t matter to me or have an impact on my run or my life. Soooo, the big question is what is really stopping me from going out for a run? And the answer to that is really nothing at all. Nothing. Just me and my silliness and my overly active imagination. Yep, it’s been a slow weekend. I really must get out more. And on this note, I really must get out of the door for a run more and so I will…after I have summed up what I think I am trying to attempt to say.




On a London Marathon note, I have never done ‘THE’ marathon. I’d quite like to I guess. It’d certainly be a shock to the system to run a marathon surrounded by so many people. All of the marathons or ultras that I normally do are pretty low-key and you will often spend hours upon hours alone or close to very few other signs of life, never mind runners. So it’d be quite nice to experience the buzz and overt excitement of it all.


   
The only race that has come close to the crowds of London was my first ever event at The Great North Run in 2008. I was overwhelmed with the emotion of it all and the crowds and the people. It'd be nice to encounter such mass enthusiasm again. Alas, I never seem to make it in. And charity places are a no-no really. I mean, it has been hard enough over the last year or so trying to raise money by running 10 marathons in 10 days and now, 145 miles in 45 hours. I can’t imagine how much harder it would be to raise so much money for a single marathon, even if it is ‘THE’ marathon ;-)


Finally, as I put my bum into gear and move away from the computer to go and find my running stuff and put that on and venture outside into the fresh air which I WILL do once I have stopped rambling on and GO outside to go and RUN, I think I shall cluster together some inspirational thoughts for the day….


Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him, he will win. Tom Fleming



Fear is a great motivator.  John Treacy, 1984 Olympic silver medallist


There is no such thing as bad weather, just soft people. Bill Bowerman


It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse. Ann Trason



Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go. T.S. Eliot


Get out there and do what you love!  Kara Goucher



No comments:

Post a Comment