Tuesday 21 May 2013

The madness countdown



The craziness is fast approaching in the form of the GUCR 145 miler. It seemed so far away for so long and now it’s this week! Eeeeek. The countdown is on. I am so excited by this. I feel like a kid at Christmas. It’s going to be an awesome weekend filled with amazing people, with all sorts of exciting stories and adventure and mega amounts of food. Other than the sore feet, I am really psyched up for this. And this year I will be running for an absolutely fantastic charity, Hospice of the Good Shepherd. My justgiving page is @  http://www.justgiving.com/lizogicalGUCR I think if any charity deserves money and support, it is these guys, because I have seen the amazing work that they do and hopefully no one out there will have to encounter their work first hand, but know that if you ever needed their support, they would be there for you in every way.




  
Your mind’s different on a 100+ miler or long ultra. You can train all you want and get as fit as possible (just my opinion), but if your mind’s not in the game and doesn’t want to play then there’s really not a lot of point. Maybe that’s my excuse for being lazy with my training? Perhaps. I know I could be far more disciplined and be much better than I am. And there screams the voice, ‘why aren’t you blummin' well doing that then? Stop being so lazy!’ And I could. I could stop being so lazy. But, truth be told, I’m not, and really never have been one of those runners who gets up at a ridiculous hour of the morning to train. Sure, I’ve gotten up at 3am before, on more than one occasion whilst trying to get to my 100th marathon, driven down the length of the country, ran maybe a small ultra, 40 miler or so and driven back home. I’ve done it. But it was the lure of the race and the event that made me do it. It doesn’t come naturally. I’d much rather run at night in the dark. Sure, there are days when I can’t be bothered to run at all and wish I’d gotten up at some ungodly hour to go run, but I’m too fond of my snooze button.





Yet, funnily enough, when I’m running through the night at this weekend's GUCR 145 miler, I will be longing for that sunrise and for that early morning daylight. It’s the only time I really get to see it, because I’m actually up ;-) and I love that; you’ve made it through the night...well, until the next night...depends on how slow I am...hopefully a little faster than last year, but who can tell?!



No comments:

Post a Comment